Thursday, October 15, 2009

The First Rule is: There Are No Rules.

Hi, I'm Dan and I'm a game-aholic.

I love games.  Like many I started playing Dungeons and Dragons as a young teenager.  I am still close friends with some of those guys.  I played mostly RPG's through high school.  There were also many games of Dungeon!, Axis & Allies, Blood Bowl and Space Hulk.  Right after high school I started playing Warhammer 40,000 regularly.  Then I graduated to Warhammer Fantasy Battles, then other miniature games followed along with many other RPG's and boardgames.

Like all addictions it spun out of control.  Until just a few months ago I had a 2000 square foot basement filled with miniatures and games.  There were 10-20,000 miniatures of various scales and genres; Dozens of board games; Hundreds of books; and hundreds more magazines.

I moved my family from Illinois to Texas this summer for a better job.  Much thanks are due to Jack-of-All-Games for helping me clear out and sell most of my collection.  The result is a much smaller games and model collection. It has been quite cathartic really.  I had so many planned projects, so many unpainted figures and so many ideas it was difficult to stay focused or motivated on any one project. Now I hope to be able to remain focused on a smaller number of projects and dedicate more time to actually playing games.

I am extremely lucky to have found a great group of guys to game with at Little Wars of Houston.  I game there most Thursday nights after work and great games seem to be going on nearly every night and weekend at the store.

My gaming addiction is certainly not cured but at least it's under control for a little while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great-looking blog Dan! I love the header especially. I need to figure out how to do the last-played games list on my blog too. Snazzy feature.

Jenny said...

Yay a new post!